I’ve been experiencing random crashes in IE whenever I try and open a document from a WSS/SharePoint site for a while and couldn’t find a fix. Well today I found this hotfix from MS:
I installed it on my machine, rebooted and hey presto – the problem has disappeared!
They state that the problem occurs because:
“In this scenario, the older version of the Name.dll file becomes the registered version. When the Owssupp.dll file is used, it tries to use functionality that is not available. This condition causes Internet Explorer to crash (stop responding).”
I thought I would post my find up here as I’m sure some people are probably suffering the same problem!