Thought I would point you towards this incredibly useful tool from Quest Software that Ilia Sotnikov (see his blog here: http://blog.sharepoint-recovery.com/) told me about.
It is a BETA version of the Reorganization Wizard feature that will be included in the upcoming version of Quest Migration Manager for SharePoint (http://quest.com/migration-manager-for-sharepoint).
This tool is incredibly powerful and allows you to overcome some of the major limitations of both MOSS & WSS. Using this tool you can achieve the following:
- Move/Reorganise SharePoint Subsites (e.g.Moving a Subsite to a Site Collection) – whilst keeping all custom Metadata and Auditing data.
- Move Site Collections within the same SharePoint Farm
- Promote parts of a site tree to a new site collection on the same or different web application
- Optimize SharePoint database storage by moving site collections between content databases
- Perform cascaded site deletes to finalize the site move or roll back a failed operation
We have been using this Beta version to move some subsites around in our WSS farm. I was impressed with the fact that the move keeps the Auditing data as an STSADM Import/Export normally erases this.
You can download the tool from the following link – http://sharepointforall.com/media/p/98.aspx
Well done Quest Software and thanks Ilia!