I found out the other day that the new TortoiseSVN 1.7.1 contains a custom ‘Subversion’ library with icon when installed. I thought this was a pretty cool feature – I currently store all my SVN projects in a library bearing the same boring generic icon as other Windows libraries.
Unfortunately I couldn’t keep using TortoiseSVN 1.7.1 because the repositories I was working with were created using TortoiseSVN 1.6 and I didn’t want to upgrade them and make them unusable for other devs.
Sadly when uninstalled it removed the library so I decided to see if I could recreate the library myself and copy the icon used by TortoiseSVN 1.7.1.
Before attempting the following steps be sure to grab a copy of the files that you will need from my SkyDrive here.
Below is how I did –
- Install TortoiseSVN 1.6
- Either download the TortoiseProc.exe file from the link above or obtain it from TortoiseSVN 1.7.1 – save it somehwere memorable.
- Create a new library
- Open C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries
- Open Notepad
- Drag the library icon that you want to change into the Notepad window
- In the code that appears add the following line underneath the <isLibraryPinned> section. Note that you should change the path to point to the correct location exe you saved above. <iconReference>C:\TortoiseProc.exe,-322</iconReference>
- Save the file
- The library icon should now be updated to use the new one.
If you are having issues then please look at the Library.txt file in my SkyDrive – this shows the correct Syntax that you will need.
Hope this helps